Studying and Working

Study and work in Canada!

Yes, you can! We start by pointing out that having a Canadian employer sponsoring you to work,  isn’t the only way to work legally in Canada. Which means the opportunities to work in Canada are not limited only to those who already have a job offer from a Canadian company and/or for those who already is in possession of Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Puzzle Canada presents viable options to its clients and helps choose the option that best fits their clients overall situation. During a consultation an analysis is conducted to identify which of the programs listed below is best suited for the client. Contact us now and make an appointment.

In Canada, if you are an international student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), in a post-secondary public institution, or a private school at a degree level, you may qualify to work off campus. To meet the requirements, a person cannot work beyond the allowed hours; during the academic school year a person can work part time and not more than 20 hours a week and during the scheduled school breaks a person can work full time. Learn more about Study permit here.

Another option to legally work in Canada is if you are a spouse (married or common-law) of an international student in Canada, that is in a post secondary education (same rules as above). In this situation, the spouse is entitled to apply  for the OWP and work full time for the same period the spouse is studying in Canada. If you feel this resembles your situation, or if you and your family are planning to take this path, we can plan a pathway with the help of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant which will include both education and immigration to Canada. In addition, during the period you are employed in Canada with the Open Work Permit, this time will count towards the Canadian Experience Class. Learn more about spousal Open Work Permit here.

When the student completes his/her program of study and receive the confirmation from the educational institution, the student will then be entitled to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). When an application for PGWP is sent, and if the student is residing in Canada and still has a valid study permit, it is permissible for he/she to work full time under implied status, and this work experience will count towards CEC. Learn more about CEC here.

After the student completes their studies, the spouse may continue to work so long as the OWP has not expired. However, after the expiration date of the OWP, the spouse may only apply for an extension if the PGWP holder is working at a NOC 0, A or B, or if the employer of the PGWP is open to sponsoring with a LMIA.

Did you know?  If you are applying for permanent residence under a provincial program, you will need to prove your intentions to live in that province after receiving the permanent residence. To prove that intention, the province will examine your ties to that province, which can include doing things such as: studying, working, volunteering, leasing agreements for accommodations, documentation on visiting the province and/or having a job offer within the province. These examples can be seen to demonstrate the intention to live in that province after being nominated.

Puzzle Tip: In order to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number or SIN card. Find more about the SIN here.

By relocating to the chosen province for the purpose of study and/or work, an individual will be able to improve his/her English, gain Canadian work experience, and build connections/networking in that province. If your intention is to study abroad and then return to your home country with the Canadian degree, work experience and an improved English, this program is right for you.

Would you like to know more? Puzzle Canada is here to help you! Book an appointment with our Immigration Consultant and find the piece (s) that is missing in your puzzle to complete your dream!

Contact Puzzle Canada to help you get started!

Contact us