pt-bren 21 99492-5409

Vistos Permanentes

Temporary Visas

  • TRV or eTA
  • Study
  • OWP
  • PGWP
  • ATIP
TRV or eTA?

The TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) is an official document that allows entry and temporary stay to foreigners in Canada for up to 6 months, as either visitor, student, or worker. The TRV attached to your passport is valid for 10 years, or until the expiry date on your passport, whichever comes first, and allows multiple entries into Canada via land, sea or air.

If you have a valid US tourist visa or had a TRV in the last 10 years, and if you plan on arriving in Canada by air, the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) is the ideal document. The entire process is done online, generating a number linked to your passport. An eTA is valid for 5 years and can be issued in minutes, however, it is recommended to get it done as soon as possible, as the Canadian government can ask for extra documents, and any errors in the forms can bar your entry in the country.

Puzzle Tip: We recommend you to double check your eTA online a few days prior, as well as on the day of your trip. It’s very unusual, but there have been cases of last-minute cancellations.

Did you Know? Providing biometry is mandatory.

Puzzle Tip: When applying for the eTA, we recommend that you print the confirmation and keep it with you. Some airline companies or English School may asked for the eTA number.


Know more about the process. Schedule an appointment here.

Study Permit

The Study Permit is an official document designed for foreigners that plan on studying for more than six months in Canada at a DLI (Designated Learning Institution). The study permit must be accompanied by a TRV or an eTA to authorize your entry into the country. The Study Permit can also be accompanied by a permission to work. Learn more about it here.

Puzzle Tip: The application for a Study Permit is made in your country of origin, but the document is only obtained when you arrive at the port of entry. As soon as your permit is approved, you’ll receive a request to mail your passport and receive your TRV. As the Study Permit is only granted upon reaching Canadian immigration, it’s essential that you have your LOA (letter of acceptance of your DLI) and other necessary documents ready, to avoid any hangups at the port of entry.

Did you Know? It’s cheaper, faster, and easier to just renew your study permit in Canada rather than starting the entire process there. Meaning, if you’re starting a course that doesn’t necessarily require a Study Permit, like a Pathway for example, but want to continue your studies at university or college, departing with a Study Permit already in your hands is the best option!

The Study Permit is valid for the duration of your course plus 90 days, however, if you are unable to complete your studies on time, you’ll have to apply for an extension of the Study Permit at least 30 days prior to the expiry date of your permit. In this case, the student can continue studying while awaiting for a decision, as they will be in an Implied Status.

Puzzle Tip: Apply for an extension of your permit as soon as possible, and don’t leave the country while under Implied Status! You need to wait for a final decision on your permit before travelling anywhere outside Canada.

In case of students on programs that are prerequisite for colleges and universities, as per example Pathways and UCTP, permission to study is usually valid for the course’s duration + one year. It gives the student extra time to apply for a Study Permit extension as well as possible delays in the program’s conclusion. The student will have to apply for a Study Permit extension when the program is completed, even if the previous’ studies authorization is still valid.

Did you know? Students with permission to work on the Study Permit can only start working when their program at college or university starts.

Who can apply for a Study Permit? 

Individuals who are enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), and prove they have the financial capacity to pay for tuition fees, living expenses, including transportation costs, as well the return expenses to their home country when the permit expires for themselves and any family members accompanying them to Canada. The individual must obey the law, can not have a criminal record, and will need to have an authorized medical exam done. If this is your first time applying for a Canadian visa, you also have to provide biometry, which is valid for 10 years.

Learn more about the process and our services. Schedule an appointment here.

If you’re a permanent resident or have a study/work permit in Canada, your spouse (married or in common law) can apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP).

If your conjuge is a worker or student in Canada, you can apply for an OWP if:

  • Your spouse is a skilled worker (occupation listed as NOC 0, A or B) or approved to work in Canada for six months or longer;

  • Your spouse has a valid OWP (i.e PGWP) and is working in a NOC 0, A or B position;

  • Your spouse is an international student at a post-secondary public institution, like a college or university, or private school of a degree level.

You’ll also need:

  • Proof that you’ll leave Canada when your visa expires;
  • Proof of income during your stay;
  • Obey the law and have no criminal record;
  • No plans on working for non-eligible employers or forbidden functions;
  • A medical record, if necessary.

This process can be done within or outside Canada, depending on the immigration status of the foreigner applying for the OWP.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

PGWP is an open work permit (OWP) that allows foreign students to work temporarily after completing their studies. To qualify for this program, the studies must be at a public institution in Canada, if a person attends a private institution, it must be a school that can award a degree. For example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree, and the student must be studying in a program that will lead to a degree.

The validity of the PGWP depends on the length of your school program: If your programs is between 8 months and 2 years, the PGWP is valid for the same period as the program length (for example, if your course is for 12 months, you will be eligible for 12 months of PGWP). For courses longer than 2 years, the student can apply for a PGWP of up to 3 years.

Upon receiving the final grade report, the student has up to 180 days to apply for the permit, which can only be granted once in a lifetime. The PGWP application can be done in or outside Canada, as long as it is within the 180 days deadline. To apply, the student no longer needs to have a valid Study Permit, however, if applying from within Canada, you need to have a TRV or eTA valid.

Did you Know? You can travel in and out of Canada while awaiting for your PGWP response, as long as you have a valid TRV or eTA.

Puzzle Tip: The PGWP is a very important document if you are planning on immigrating to Canada. You can start working full-time as soon as you apply for a PGWP if you apply within Canada and your study permit is still valid. If your designated position in the new job is listed with NOC 0, A or B, that work experience while waiting for a response will be counting towards Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Learn more here.

Learn more about the process and our services. Schedule an appointment here.


Having a visa denied can be an extremely frustrating experience, especially when travel plans are already set. According IRCC data, 30% of individuals that applied on the first trimester of 2018 had their visas denied. In many cases, denials happen because of insufficient documents or legal proof to convince an officer, and the lack of details of the invitation letter. Many of the false or distorted declarations are actually just accidental mistakes on the applicant’s end. That’s why it’s important to have a legal consultant with you for the process. Puzzle Canada can help increase your chances of receiving an approval and saving you from all of the stress and even possibly wasted money and time.

If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having your visa denied, requesting an ATIP should be your first action to help revert your case. The Access to Information and Privacy is an access request to detailed information on why the immigration officer denied your visa, and it’ll be your main ally when sending in a new application.

The ATIP can be used for many situations, as per example, if you have a delay in your process, so it is important to know which ATIP to request.

By understanding the reasons why you weren’t considered eligible to obtain your TRV, you can provide new basis and increase your chances of obtaining your visa. This is why knowing how to interpret and use an ATIP for your next application is just as important as applying for one in the first place. Puzzle Canada can apply for the ATIP on your behalf and discuss in a consultation the issue and new strategy when it is possible! Schedule an appointment to discuss your options.

Did You Know? The ATIP request can only be done by a canadian citizen, permanent resident or person or corporation present in Canada.

Contact Puzzle Canada to help you get started!

Get in touch

WhatsApp chat